Re: Garnome without some extras.

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 02:56 +1000, Campbell Barton wrote:
> Hey, I compile most stable garnome builds that are released ;)

Thanks, great to hear. :)

> Id like to be able to compile without evalution, or epiphany- Bothe are
> big packages and since I use thunderbird and firefox its a lot of
> overhead I dont need.
> Also, I have had troubles compiling both..
> Some Kind of minimal option would be nice.

You easily can disable packages, that you don't want. As Joseph already
mentioned, renaming the dir (like epiphany) with a leading dot will do.
This is the way to easily get it back in case something else depends on
it. (Yes, if there are no lurking deps, you can remove those garballs
just as well.)

Both Epiphany and Evolution are pretty safe to remove. Note though, that
out of the box there are two deps on Epiphany: epiphany-extensions and
gwget, both in geektoys. Not an issue if you don't want neither of
them. ;)

In the Evolution case, there are some other circumstances, too.
Mail-notification is the only app that depends on Evo itself, due to the
usual use case for MN. Anyway, that could easily be changed if you want
MN without the Evo integration.

If you do not build Evo, you can safely drop the following garballs too,
since they are used by Evo only (all in the desktop/ meta-garball):
gtkhtml, libsoup, evolution-webcal, evolution-exchange.  However, you
can *not* simply opt out of evolution-data-server (see below).

Regarding the "minimal" option: I'm sorry, but we won't do that. The
most obvious reason: GARNOME is a build utility for the GNOME Desktop --
and Evolution and Epiphany are officially part of GNOME.

Another reason is: What to include in the minimal option? Some don't
like Epiphany, some don't want Evolution, some don't need Ekiga, dasher,
etc...

> Also every time I build garnome (on Both Linux installs) - when building
> glib, I need to manually do and run
> ./configure --with-libiconv=gnu
> Otherwise it wont compile. - Realy a problem for glib but thaught Id
> mention anyhow, would be nice if it could auto detect this.
>
> Theres a few missing depancies
>   exchange-data-server (needs OpenLDAP)

One of the external deps we can not provide. You should install it
system wide, if possible. Or edit the evolution-data-server/Makefile and
get rid of the --with-openldap option in the CONFIGURE_ARGS.

>   gnome-panel (needs exchange-data-server) WHY?? - I removed from the
> makefile and gnome-panel compiled fine. without exchange.

*evolution*-data-server :)

Unlike Evolution itself, there are a few apps in the official Desktop
stack and extra packages that depend on evolution-data-server. e-d-s has
been split up from Evo for that very reason, providing a common backend
used across multiple apps sharing the same user data.

In the case of gnome-panel, the clock applet actually features
integrated Calendar and Tasks and depends on e-d-s for that. Apart from
gnome-panel, there is a contact-lookup-applet part of GNOME, that
queries your Address Books. Ekiga and Gaim (can) use these Address Books
as well.

Since our aim is to provide the GNOME Desktop, we sure want this
integration to be built out of the box, without any manual tweaking by
the user. Thus the LIBDEPS for apps, that optionally support features
using other parts of the Desktop. For them to be built, we need to make
sure the dependencies are built already.

>   deskbar-applet (needs liboil)

Provided by GARNOME in bootstrap/ for those systems, that don't ship
with the required version, since it is a pretty recent one.

$ make -C bootstrap/liboil install

Also, I believe this is control-center rather than deskbar-applet. ;)
And no, please do not ask me what the control-center needs a highly
optimized lib for...

>   Cant recall the lib :/ (needs PyRex)

Yes. One of the external deps we can not provide. You should install it
system wide, if possible.

Hope this explains why. :)

...guenther