Re: [gamin] gamin abstract socket bind() probem

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 09:26:31AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>   I have no idea why. I can't find when logging the applications what might be
> going wrong and where. All the logs I collect only show correct behaviour
> but I get that pop-up window if fam_server is not started before running
> gnome-session. strace'ing broke the whole desktop startup altogether.
> I don't see any application crash, so far the issue is still open, everything
> seems to behave normally, the gnome-settings-daemon is actually running...

I made a wrapper script around gam_server that outputted the debug
log to a file. It is still the same problem of two gam_server's starting
up. One succeeding in getting the socket the other failing.
gnome-settings-daemon is indeed running, but try changing your gtk theme
in the theme manager and it will fail to notice it. One work around this
is to add gam_server to your session and make sure it is loaded first.

Maybe if the gam client retried for 5 seconds or until it connected to the
gam_server or spawned a gam_server that works? But that still feels
hacky to me.

John