Frog! Game for Linux Ubuntu 10.04 -- debugging help request. Lazarus Free Pascal

Hi All,

I am not really up on the latest in Linux graphics today. My latest game
(Frog game) was completed as a Source Forge open source public domain
game a few years ago.

I worked on rewriting much of it for a new version for Linux Ubuntu
Lucid (or possible the previous one) with Lazarus free Pascal. It
compiles fine (have not looked at it recently). All versions are
archived by me. My new version has a runtime bug and I am unsure how to
go about debugging it. I have considered changing the form's caption in
a procedure and calling it periodically.

I think I'd need to do this:

global var:

debug_state : boolean;

procedure form1.show_debug_vars_on_caption( debug_state : boolean; var1,
var2 : boolean { or whatever... I would use more meaningful var
names } );
var
  str1 : string;
begin
  if debug_state then
  begin
    str1 := '';
    if var1 then
      str1 := str1 + 'true'
    else
      str1 := str1 + 'false';

    if var2 then
      str1 := str1 + 'true';
    else
      str1 := str1 + 'false';

    caption := str1; // changes the form1's caption
  end;
end;

Then call it at different parts of my code.

Is there a better approach to debugging graphics games? I need to be
able to toggle debugging at runtime. I can do this with a TMenuItem in a
TMainMenu.

Someone made a mobile game app from it and at the time I even was on a
bus here in my town (Hobart) and saw a child playing my game. I was both
simultaneously proud and also a little lost for words and I lost the
email and company details of the folk who made it.

Here is my last Frog game:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/frog-retro-game/ for Windows XP

It is written in Delphi 7 for Windows XP and someone emailed me that
they had converted it to a mobile app. I am pretty sure he/she would
have used Lazarus free pascal. It was open source and public domain.

Lazarus is a clone of Delphi 6 and is cross-platform. I now am a casual
developer and my game writing takes a second seat in my life. :-) It is
a strong interest as I no longer work and I am very aware that my health
must not suffer. I don't work any more and I'm on a pension.

I welcome input about the Jedi SDL games being developed and I'm also
interested to ask what languages people develop with & also what type of
games. I tried converting my legacy Delphi 5 & 7 apps to Lazarus free
pascal with much success. I am still developing them and have interests
in new games.

Is anyone interested in developing games with me. If so, which
programming languages do you use. I want to learn Java and I know some
internet friends interested in helping.

(version 1.1)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/frog-retro-game/

This is the Frog! Retro remake game for Windows, of the original
Commodore PET game by Bob Carr circa 1980. The version has been
developed 2002-2006 by Peter Eric Williams (me).

https://launchpad.net/frog ---- alpha of next version... my first
launchpad project. :-)))

(alpha of next version with a bug. The bug is that the graphics don't
display property. Run it and you'll see. Binary included. You'll need to
install Lazarus Free Pascal if you want to debug it and it's just like
Delphi 6).

PLEASE HELP

The game uses it's own graphics unit based on Jedi SDL graphics which,
at the time were pre-1.0 release. Circa 2003. I have about 5 months ago
created a new Lazarus version and it has at least one bug. I am
unfamiliar with graphics debugging as this was my first arcade
game. :-))) Previous version in Delphi 7 for Windows XP found on Source
Forge (see url above).

About ME & Background
=====================

Poetry is another strong interest for me.

It was very rewarding to see a young child enjoying my game (Frog!
Retro Remake Game) on his mobile phone. My Source Forge was converted
by someone else (don't know the platform).

I don't really play mobile phone games so I didn't feel that I knew
enough about them to see the transition from Windows XP arcade style
to mobile phone game. I am happy to see that someone too over my game
and I have rewritten parts of it and trying to debug it with I think
one bug. :-)))

I have schizophrenia and a type of autism and am on medication. :-) I
am very well these days and see a psychiatrist regularly.

In many aspects I am one of the very lucky persons with schizophrenia
as so many of us do not get the help we need.

If you want an insight into mental illness/bad killings/computer games
in Tasmania the look up the Martin Bryant killings of dozens of people
in Port Arthur in Tasmania. He used to live here in Hobart and lived
alone (or possibly with his girl friend... I don't know the exact
details) and he played one of those first person killing games for
"enjoyment". This happened about 10 years ago or more.

One morning he [Bryant] simply got up, had breakfast and drove to Port
Arthur, stole some weapons and proceeded to visit an old convict
settlement called Port Arthur which was a thriving tourist attraction
and systematically murder more than two dozen innocent humans for hours.
He was captured alive and sent to trial. He was found to NOT have any
mental illness and is rotting in jail NEVER to be released.

All this was before I came to live in Hobart. About 6 months later my
mum and I came to Hobart for a 2 week holiday and we did some bus trips
around the state. We found it to be a very pretty island with many down
to earth people. There are many craftsmen, artists, poets, musicians and
greenies. The forestry industry here is in a bit of trouble... Just do
some reading about the Gunns wood chip factory being built. We also have
a Cadbury's chocolate factory in Hobart !!!! mmmmm.....
chocolate!!!! :-))))

I do not develop violent games :-))) And never have done.

With Best Regards,
   PEW { Peter Eric Williams }
from Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

My FREE Website:  http://pewink.info and

https://sites.google.com/site/pewtas/home/delphi_source_code
with intentions to port some to Lazarus (depending on interest)
and more... (ask me)
--
Proudly developing Quality Cross Platform Open Source Games
Since 1970 with a Commodore PET 4016 with 16 KRAM