Re: Hitori

Thomas H.P. Andersen wrote:
kakuro game and other new cool games (gbrainy looks cool too). Getting
sudoku and chess in was really nice. However, we have to consider both
the total size of the games and the experience from the last inclusion
of new games. We still have crasher bugs left in those. New games need
to be stable and really well tested before they go in.

There are still far too many crasher bugs in Sudoku and glChess, altough I expect version 2.20.0 to be a lot more more stable than the previous.
It would be a very bad adding more games at the moment, when there is
barly enough development resources to maintain and fix the current games.

I would suggest that gnome-games-extra-data be used as a testing-ground for new games. Hitori, gnome-hearts, GNOME Mastermind, gataxx etc. have been suggested for inclusion to gnome-game so far.

Thomas H.P. Andersen wrote:
If we want new games in the collection we would either have to drop
other games or expand the collection size. I'm not sure the latter is
an option.

Perhaps the gnome-games package should be split in two or more smaller
packages and make one optional?

This is the current situation: gnome-games is the default package, while gnome-games-extra-data is an optional package.

What's exactly the problem with gnome-games' size that's preventing it
from growing? Maintainability? Added bloat to a user's desktop? Too much
weight carried around by the distro's? Compile/test time by Gnome?

Yes, all of the above are problems with increasing the size of gnome-games. It's both about maintainability and about the size of the distribution. Increased size means that the codebase will be more difficult to maintain. The number of crasher bugs has been stadily increasing since the past two development cycles.

Also if the size increases too much, then distro's will not wait to keep gnome-games on their default install. The bzip2 distribution of gnome-games 2.20.0 is already 11 MB, while gnome-games 2.16.0 was only 5.0 MB.

Is it just a filesize thing? If it is, I could point out that the 0.1
tarball of Hitori is only 370KiB in size, and the inclusion of an icon
-- which is the only bitmap graphic I plan to include (once someone
 makes one) -- would only increase this a little.

In addition there is the size of translations and documentation, which can be much larger in size than a compiled binary.

 - Andreas