Trouble building gnome-games - no pygtk?

Sorry for the noise, but I'm trying to get back into developing gnome-sudoku to fix up some bugs and hopefully re-enable the simpler, file-based version of saving and opening games (which is already coded and is simple enough not to introduce the kinds of bugs present in the fancy version).

One reason I've been slow to contribute bugfixes etc. lately is that every time I find an hour to work on gnome-sudoku, I spend it just trying to get gnome-games to build properly on my laptop and then give up (how I miss the days of python setup.py install). So I'm swallowing my pride and asking for some help -- I realize this is stuff I should be able to figure out, but the truth is I've never been able to get into an easy development cycle since moving to the gnome-games build setup. Hopefully someone on the list can help me get back into the swing of things.

Here's my most recent hang-up:

I run:
$ ./autogen.sh --enable-games=none,gnome-sudoku

I get...
checking for a Python interpreter with version >= 2.4... python
checking for python... /usr/bin/python
checking for python version... 2.5
checking for python platform... linux2
checking for python script directory... ${prefix}/lib/python2.5/site-packages
checking for python extension module directory... ${exec_prefix}/lib/python2.5/site-packages
checking for which platform to build... gnome
checking for GTHREAD... yes
checking for GTK... yes
checking for GCONF... yes
Using config source xml:merged:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults for schema installation
Using $(sysconfdir)/gconf/schemas as install directory for schema files
checking for gconftool-2... /usr/bin/gconftool-2
checking for GNOME... yes
checking for CAIRO... yes
checking for RSVG... yes
checking whether librsvg supports gnome-vfs... yes
checking for PYGTK... no
configure: error: Some games need python, but python or pygtk not found

I can't figure out why this error is showing up. I have the following packages installed:
python, python-dev: 2.5.1~rc1-0ubuntu3
python-gtk2-dev, python-gtk2-dev: 2.10.4-0ubuntu3

Any help getting past this error would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom