Re: Gnome Games 2.17.91

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Josef Spillner wrote:
I thought about the HIG compliance a bit. In addition to HIG, there might be
other features that a GNOME multiplayer framework integration needs.

Hello Josef,

It seems like a good idea to look more closely at how the development effort of these two projects best can cooperate.

For example, GNOME has now translated a lot of the user interfaces for GGZ to many languages which would have been impossible for GGZ alone, while gnome-games reuses a lot of code directly from GGZ.

Another important thing is the hosting infrastructure which could host ggz servers for gnome-games. We have the server gnome.ggzgamingzone.org, which is the only server listed in the games at the moment. (There is also a server running on games.gnome.org, but this server isn't a long term solution.) I think that supporting the server hosted by the GGZ project at gnome.ggzgamingzone.org, possibly asking for funding from the GNOME foundation etc if that would be neccesary.

Further, it could be useful to discuss how GGZ is distributed: currectly it is bundled with gnome-games. Another solution would be to request that GGZ becomes an external dependency of gnome-games. But that would result in the user interfaces of GGZ to not be properly translated (as you said).

If GGZ had a stable version labeled "1.0", it would also be easier to request it as an external dependency for GNOME.

Since there are already changes in your CVS which are not yet in GGZ's SVN,
ggz-gtk and the libraries used by it appear to need a fork. However, that's
not a fork in the usual sense, but a modification of our GGZ Gtk+ Client and
GGZ Gtk+ Games collections to fit into GNOME.

There's also a ggz-gnome package available from GGZ, but it's basically dead
and scheduled for removal (lack of maintenance is the sole reason).
There are two ways ahead:
- we continue merging changes of GGZ code back and forth
- we declare some of the GGZ-Gtk+ stuff in GNOME CVS to be the new GGZ-GNOME
and decouple it from our GGZ-Gtk+ development to some extent

The latter one is fine. However, there is also the chat and player list dialogs, which is also distributed separately with both GGZ and gnome-games.

I'm strongly opting for the latter one. There is just one argument against it
which I can think out of my head, it's that GGZ won't get translations "for
free" anymore. When looking at the ggz-gtk screenshot in Thai language at
	http://thep.blogspot.com/2007/01/toward-gnome-218.html
this makes me a bit sad.

Yes, it is quite impressive how the gnome translators can make the games available in so many languages.

 - Andreas