Re: suggestions for gnome-games 2.18

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, Sander Marechal wrote:

> Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 22:15:40 +0200
> From: Sander Marechal <s marechal jejik com>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Cc: games-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: suggestions for gnome-games 2.18
>
> Alan Horkan wrote:
> > Card games is a good logical split but unfortunately a less than ideal
> > technology split since Aisleriot (including Freecell) uses Guile,
> > Blackjack uses C, and Hearts uses Lua (possibly python instead of Lua but
> > still yet another language).
>
> I'm moving it from Lua to Python in the next version because packaging
> for Lua is a nightmare on most distributions.
>
> Isn't Python already a requirement for Gnome in general?

True but in the context of a Debian user requesting smaller packages it is
hard to know what dependencies they would be happy about.  They could in
theory be using gtk apps without the gnome desktop and bitterly resent
each additional dependency (it is rare but it happens).

If I read it correctly the core of Gnome Hearts uses C but would a version
using only C and neither Lua nor Python actually be usable?
(Just asking, I dont expect you to do it because even it were possible it
could easily be more hassle than it is worth.)

--
Alan