Re: On self-moderation and making GNOME a fun project again!

As for the discussion about strategic goals for GNOME: this is indeed an
important topic. We apparently need to find a better way to discuss such
a complex topic than just an open discussion, though. A solution could
be to have someone collect feedback from the community, and then have a
group of people analyze this feedback to propose a document that could
then be easier to discuss. Feel free to contact the board if you're
interested in helping this way.

I thought the DVCS survey was classy and well done.

Perhaps a "Visions of Gnome" wiki page could be opened, where people would be encouraged to propose a one-paragraph summary of what Gnome 3 (or 4 or whatever) should be about.

A ranking survey would follow, to see if there was anything that could be called a vision consensus - or at least, to see if we could identify the most popular lines of thought!

If a controversial figure (you know who you are!) posted a vision, it could be voted on dispassionately, rather than providing a forum for a endless flamefest or bikeshedding.

- Mike