Re: Reboot: Strategic goals for GNOME

The point I was trying to make was that HTML 5 (or more formally some of the API's for javascript for accessing local storage), among other things, enables offline use of web applications. Think google gears use in google calendar and gmail or google air. Note gears was just formally abandoned by Google in favor of standards (a good thing, IMHO).

It is becoming feasible to build applications with those technologies that you *can* take with you. In this sense, they become no different than software we currently install in conventional ways based on GTK+; just more convenient. This is part of the inflection point I believe is about to arrive.

I've seen little discussion on how gnome should be thinking of becoming part of an much larger ecosystem of applications that I believe will form due to this capability.

And yes, the end state may be that desktop environments do become entirely browser based; this may or may not be a "good thing" (either technically, or on software freedom grounds), depending on how the process plays out.

And without thinking this possible trend through, the probability of influencing this trend in "good" directions for the social good is greatly diminished.

Let me give you a concrete example common practice in javascript programs is to "obfuscate" the code 1) as a mechanism to "protect IP" (RMS, please don't jump on me here: I'm parroting how the companies involved are thinking about it), - 2) but also to improve compression of the loading of such programs initially. People like Google work *hard* on latency and understand every byte counts (among many other things: go look at the google talks by their engineers on the topic).

Right now, these are two disincentives for the source code to be available at all.

As a solution to 2), Gnome (and/or the FSF) could work in the web community to standardize mechanisms and code for making such source available. So long as solutions to 2) do not exist, we're in a much poorer position; free and open source code should not work *worse* than proprietary, IMHO.

I'm concerned to have not seen this sort of strategic issue discussed widely.
			- Jim