Re: Thanks, and a Brief Survey

Hi,

Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> Lefty gave accurate definitions for the words he used. For example the
> word "illegitimate": Richard clearly questioned the legitimacy of
> proprietary software and asked us to mirror this statement. This is
> archived if you don't believe me.

"illegitimate" is not a synonym for "illegal". The way Stallman uses
sthe word, it is more accurate to consider it a synonym of "immoral".

> Secondly:
>
> Lefty's last survey's exact words:
>
> "Legitimate" means both "not contrary to existing law" and "in accordance
>  with recognized or accepted standards or principles". Do you believe
>  that proprietary software is "illegitimate"?
>
> Possible meanings according to an English dictionary:
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/illegitimate
>

> 1. born of parents who are not
> married to each other; born out of
> wedlock: an illegitimate child.
>
> 	-> Not relevant here
>

> 2. not legitimate; not sanctioned by
> law or custom.
>
> 3. unlawful; illegal: an
> illegitimate action.
>
> 	-> Relevant, Richard used "illegitimate" within the context of
>            laws and legality. When talking about the proprietary nature
> 	   of a work, you are discussing legal aspects of its license.
>

> 4. irregular; not in good usage.
>
> 	-> Somewhat relevant, it's clear that "proprietary" sets the
> 	   context firmly to law systems and legality. Richard could
> 	   have used less ambiguity if he meant this. He didn't.

It appears to me that RMS is using illegitimate in the sense "not
sanctioned by custom" perhaps - or more likely, "irregular; not in good
usage". From the two options Lefty lists, "not in accordance with
recognized or accepted standards or principles"

Dave.

--
Dave Neary
GNOME Foundation member