Re: What do you think of the foundation?

On 05/31/2009 04:27 AM, Dave Neary wrote:
In other instances, you suggested people paying a minimum 200euros of
their trip.  Your argument has been that foundation sponsorship should
not cover all the expenses of going to GUADEC.  You know what, it
*doesn't*.  Eating for a week at a conference costs a lot.

You're making me cry.

Not everybody live in a country where tuition for a year is 150 to 300 EUR University. (students) Not everybody live in a country where unemployment is 60% of your previous salary. (people that actually have time to contribute because they don't have a job anymore, can't actually even pay for their mortgage or rent as a consequence) Not everybody live in a country where the cost of living is such that eating in a restaurant of some sort in, say, Turkey or Spain is actually not expensive (after factoring the first two cases in).

The issue Behdad is outlining is real.
I don't know how it can be solved or even if it has to be solved, but one thing I'm sure of is that it is real.

The foundation sponsoring definitely helps many people to take part of GUADEC, but it surely still will exclude some for some reason or another. It is a best effort, but with an ever growing number of requests, more than the actual budget, things don't get easier.

Also it should be noted that Gran Canaria is by far the most expensive destination I have seen for GUADEC airfare-wise. Turkey was not that bad after all.

Hub