Re: Akademy+GUADEC *2009* Hosting Proposals

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 22:18 +0300, Zeeshan Ali Khattak wrote:
> Hi guys!
>
> > On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Lennart Poettering <mztabzr 0pointer de> wrote:
> >> Are there even any direct flights to Tampere, except from HEL?
>
>   You are kidding me right? :) You haven't heard of the wonders of
> Ryanair and you are against Tampere bid? :)
>
>    Regarding food and beer, Quim said it better than I could have but
> just wanted to remind you that you have to *buy* your water in Spain
> and when it's warm you drink lots of it and when you are hung-over
> everyday you must drink even more. :) In Finland you can just drink
> from the tap and save the money for the beer, which as Quim pointed
> out will not be expensive.

The price of the water is irrelevant if we see the large numbers.
Using the information given in the bids (not biased):

Taking out the social event costs, we have:

How much money is required by external sources (aka sponsors)?:

Venue:
  Tampere :  € 21,000 + part of € 70,000 (labour. how much?)
  Canarias:  € 0
  A Coruña:  € 0

Travel grants:
  How much money has been invested in this GUADEC for travel
  grants this year? (US$ 60,000?).  For GUADEC+Akademy we should
  expect to move more people (double?) and having less money for
  that matter will be a big deal.

  Still is necessary to leave a part of that budget for keynotes.

  Will the common sponsors (for both GUADEC and Akademy) gives
  the double amount of money?

  According to the costs of Tampere:
    They will have assigned a travel grant of €25,000 (US$39,215).

  Canarias and A Coruña:
    They doesn't give any number here, but because they can
    invest (if they want to) almost all the money received
    by sponsors for travel grants.

Expenses for participants:
  Lunch:
    Tampere : Between €5 - €25/day = Between €35 - €175/week.
    A Coruña: Between €8 - €18/day = Between €56 - €126/week.
    Canarias: €196/week.

  Accommodations (the minimal cost provided):
    Tampere : €71/day = €497/week
    A Coruña: €15/day = €105/week
    Canarias: Not given (yet?).

  Summary cost per person:
    Tampere : Between €532 - €672/week.
    A Coruña: Between €161 - €231/week.
    Canarias: It can't be calculated.

Random notes:
     1. If accommodation would be sponsored, with the same amount of
        money, A Coruña could sponsor 3 participants, while Tampere
        could sponsor only 1.
     2. It is reasonable to think, in this issue, that with the same
        amount of money, both Canarias and A Coruña, will have more than
        €30,000 extras than Tampere for travel grants.
     3. It would be nice to know how much of €70,000 in labour costs in
        Tampere will be covered by local organization. For (2.) I
        considered €63,000 which is extremely conservative.
     4. Canarias will pay by them self €60,000 moving international
        journalists and African technological chairmans.  This could be
        a good media coverage (if they do it).
     5. Moving people inside Europe shouldn't be a big deal.  The three
        cities have connections with main cities in Europe.
     6. Moving people coming from outside of Europe will not be cheap
        because is summertime. It is high season, anyway.
     7. It would be nice having Canarias accommodation costs.

At last, if the water is a real problem, then A Coruña should
be the best option here (cheaper than Tampere and good water).
However, for travelers almost always is recommended not to drink
water from the tap, not because is polluted; because the bacterial
flora is different.

Kind regards,

--
Germán Póo-Caamaño