Re: Creating new modules (was Re: Git vs SVN (was: Can we improve things?))

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 04:42:03PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 9/10/07, Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com> wrote:
> > Because it is no longer possible to create new SVN modules easily, as it
> > was when we used CVS.  By "easily" I mean that it you want to create a
> > module, you don't need to ask anyone to do it for you.
> >

> When this first came up on d-d-l I was sort of "not sure this is a big
> deal" but then recently I was thinking about it again and decided it
> did matter.
>
> Back in the day the cvs-commits-list was part of the community. One of
> the things that frequently happened is that people followed up to
> commit messages to discuss, or noticed a commit and discussed it on
> IRC.

svn-commits-list exists and you can limit the email receive to one or
more projects (or all).

> Anyway, the centralization and common CVS repo was really a big part
> of how the community worked. It let people get credit, it let people
> informally notice where they could help each other, it let everyone
> have a baseline knowledge of what was being worked on.

I think this worked because /cvs/gnome was one big repos right? Now we
create a repos per module. This needs someone with a shell (root) to set
it up. Don't like handing out shell on that machine, but perhaps some
webinterface when possible (after mango).

--
Regards,
Olav