Re: Git vs SVN (was: Can we improve things?)

2007/9/8, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org>:
> On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 12:57:26PM +0300, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> > Yes, I guess Zeeshan was pointing out that with Git you can clean the
> > typo up *without* having the "oops, typo" as a separate commit, thus
> > making it possible to for example autogenerate the Changelog from git
> > log and not having to clean hundreds of irrelevant messages from it.
>
> How? Can you remove a commit from a central repos?

At least in Git the "central repo" is purely a policy question, so
yes, you can remove it from there too. Or rather edit the commit that
had the typo in it.

But the real benefit is that you can commit pretty freely on-the-go,
and then just create the changeset you want others to see. This alone
will reduce the amount of "oops"-commits. This of course is available
through git-svn already.

> You can actually edit commit message in SVN as well, but I don't like
> that (touching history)..

Even if it's history nobody will ever care about or even want to see?

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi