Re: GNOME and the free software movement

--- Tristan Van Berkom <tvb gnome org> wrote:

>    I know others have replied, both with solid
> arguments but
> I thought I could point to at least one practicle
> value of free software
> to the modern user as we know it. Lets just take
> open data formats
> for example - free software ensures that data
> formats stay open
> to a fine degree (since the source is always
> available to those
> who implement the format) - this gives the user a
> choice:

Yes... and yet every time I want to do some serious
work, I open MS Word and not OOo Writer.
I know all about format lock-in, but Open Office
doesn't do what I want from a word processor.
Ultimately, I care more about being able to use
something comfortably and not working around bugs or
limitations.