Re: Mailing lists (Re: Candidacy: Joachim Noreiko)

Dave Neary wrote:
Hi,

David Bolter wrote:
Thinking aloud:
I wonder if we could expose the #gnome channel (or similar) as perhaps a one-click "Get Help" menu item... perhaps under the "Place" menu. The user could have an automated nick that describes their distro etc. Friendly #gnome or #gnome-help (or whatever) lurkers could say recognize the nick as a help-needer and invite their questions.

You would also need a "Help new users" menu item - the problem is that
there are lots of people who occasionally wander by looking for help,
and the channel is empty of helpers.

Good point. Perhaps the goal would be to manage user expectation somehow... so that they are not too shocked if there are no gnome-helpers online.

cheers,
David