Re: Mailing lists (Re: Candidacy: Joachim Noreiko)

--- Calum Benson <Calum Benson Sun COM> wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 17:27 +0200, Baris Cicek
> wrote:
>
> > I guess it's better to broaden communication ways
> for GNOME community.
> > IRC, mailing-lists, newsgroups, IMs, Wiki, blogs,
> bugzilla etc. and
> > choose appropriate channel to point subject
> matter.

I agree.
But to me, each mailing list seems like a different
channel. Each mailing list has its own login page, and
each time I want to contact a different project for
documentation work, I have to sign up to something
new.
And then I get yet more crud I don't care about, right
into my mailbox. Lists are a push medium, which I
don't like. Forums or wikis, which have their
drawbacks I agree, are there for me to go to when it
suits me.
The archive is totally disjoint from my email where I
actually interact with the list, which means I don't
know how to answer to posts that I've deleted from my
mailbox, or that date from before I joined a list.
Reading a thread in the archive involves clicking
through lots of pages, and as soon as there have been
two replies to one post, effectively forking it, it
becomes a nightmare.

A lot of my own dislikes of lists could be addressed
with a better web archive, and a single page that
allows you to sign up or quit different lists (a
monster list of checkboxes, basically). I'm also going
to be switching my subscription from yahoo mail to
googlemail at some point, which shows threads
reasonably well and reduces the amount of visible crud
in my inbox.
And something like a forum/list hybrid that another
poster mentioned (see? I can't find it, and if I could
I can't quote it, and I can't reply to you both
without it all going crazy) sounds like it could be
the best of both worlds and prevent you retiring ;)

Anyway, we should perhaps drop this. I wanted to talk
about barriers that new contributors face, and I drew
on my personal experiences.