Re: Candidacy: Joachim Noreiko

--- Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 11:57:09PM +0000, Joachim
> Noreiko wrote:
> > radically changed since. Mailing lists are
> strange,
> > alien places to people who don't come from hacker
> > culture. The same goes for IRC. When you finally
>
> Small question: I saw one or two suggestions to
> force GNOME developers
> to not use mailing lists or IRC. Do you support that
> yes/no (meaning is
> that your intention as board member)?

If there were to be change like that, I think it
should be a referendum of the whole gnome community.

I do not plan to propose a referendum on this. If
other board members proposed one, I would want to know
there was broad support from the community for such a
change before agreeing it.

If there were a referendum to switch from mailing
lists to another form of communication, then I would
vote yes if I thought the proposed form was better.

There are other, much higher barriers to involvement
for new contributors, such as lack of documentation,
that I consider a much higher priority. Even if we're
specifically considering mailing lists and IRC, some
of the problems these have could be tackled without
switching to a different medium of communication.