bitstream vera fonts/licensing

Hello,

Please excuse me if this is the wrong list, but since this is a legal
issue, I thought I'd try here.

I need to use the Gnome Vera fonts in the commercial environment. I've
contacted Bitstream, who said that for any licensing/copyright questions
I need to talk to GNOME, since they just donated the fonts and don't
deal with licensing. They said the fonts were free as far as they were
concerned. I am trying to figure out what free really means here.

The fonts are to be used with a proprietary rendering engine, which
means that I just need to know what the licensing for .ttf files is.
I've seen the following page:
http://www.gnome.org/fonts/

Still, I don't fully understand: What license governs the use of the
Bitstream Vera font? (is copyright on the above-referenced page all
there is to it?) Is it the GPL-style license? (that I haven't seen on
the web page)

Again, I apologize if I am spamming the wrong people with this, and
would appreciate a pointer in the right direction (Please note that I
did notice that there is a 'fonts' list, but it seems to deal with
development issues, and the traffic on the list is largely
non-existent). Maybe you can point me to the person responsible for this
within the foundation?

Thank you very much for any information you can provide!

denis
--
// mailto: Denis Perelyubskiy <lists at overwhelmTAKECAPITALSOUT dot net>
// icq   : 12359698