Re: Research groups and the GNOME project

Hi!

El lun, 13-11-2006 a las 20:52 +0200, Juha Siltala escribió:
> Hi Alvaro,
>
> I have also been working on understanding Free Software and the open
> development model of working for some years, at the Center for
> Activity Theory and Developmental Work Research[1] in Helsinki,
> Finland. Most of my data consists of public data on the GNOME project
> (mailing list archives, Bugzilla, lurking on well-known IRC channels,
> etc.) We should definitely be in touch; some of my work may be of
> interest to you already, and vice versa :)

Sure, the Free Software research community is growing and joining forces
is always a good idea.

> On 11/13/06, Alvaro del Castillo <acs gsyc escet urjc es> wrote:
>
> > - Mirroring GNOME CVS
> MIght be very interesting to have access, but I've had no need for this,
>
> > - Access to the Bugzilla database
> Bugzilla is public, and I've been able to get all the data I want.

Currently in GNOME Bugzilla you have more than 300.000 bugs. It is crazy
to get the bugs using http queries and I don't think it is the way to
go. We really need the full database to do our research (cleaning it of
course from sensitive information).

> > - Mailing list archives
> These are available also, although the search has been broken for
> quite some time now :(

Yes, we have analyzed them already. The mbox archives are wonderful for
research purposes because the aren't filtered.

> All in all, I've been quite happy with keeping all the data on the
> famous Other People's Servers. I have had no desire to mirror this
> data for my own research purposes. I reckon you want to conduct some
> serious data mining for discovering some quantitative data which I
> have had no need for. If so, all the better: your research could be
> very interesting and complementary to our qualitative approach.

Yes, we need to analyze for example changes between commits (if possible
all), the evolution of bugs (if possible all) in order to understand the
evolution of code for example.

> I will mail for you better description of my work so far in the next
> few days, and if you wish, some results.
>
> [1] http://www.helsinki.fi/activity -- my personal page:
> http://www.helsinki.fi/activity/people/jsiltala

Thank you very much. I think we can talk directly about our groups
research issues.

Thank you!

--
http://acsblog.es