Re: Nomination process

Hi Alan,

Le jeudi 27 octobre 2005 �6:30 +0100, Alan Horkan a �it :
> > Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:54:53 +0200 (CEST)
> > From: Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org>
> > To: foundation-list gnome org
> > Subject: Re: Nomination process
> >
> > On Thu, October 27, 2005 04:06, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > > Irrespecitve of the board size is there anything which could be done to
> > > improve the nomination process?
> >
> > Every member has the right to nominate herself/himself for the elections.
> > I don't think we want to change this :-)
>
> Amazing how you manage to put your point across as a criticism.
>
> The constant negativity from developers is very discouraging, please
> consider how you say things.  :(

I'm sorry if my mail sounded negative or/and like a cristicism: to be
honest, I don't see where it sounds like this. Anyway, this was not the
intent, so I apologize. Also, I was really not writing this as a
developer.

Here are some arguments explaining my point of view:

  * the members are the people who make the Foundation. Therefore every
member should be able to run to be on the board. This is the most
important point (at least, to me).

  * a solution would be to have different types of memberships. But with
only one type of membership, it's already hard for the membership
committee to process some applications. Also, I don't see what would
justify that a member has more rights than another one.

  * adding some requirements for candidates would mean we should have
guidelines to accept/deny candidates. In my experience, there will
always be a case where the guidelines are not clear enough.

> > What I would love to see, though, is candidates announcing their candidacy
> > sooner. It's really not good to see there's not enough candidates one hour
> > before the deadline. But only candidates can change this.
>
> Seems you do actually agree there is something which could be done to
> improve the process which is the whole point of what I was asking.

Well, I'm not sure how we can modify the process to force candidates to
announce their candidacy long before the deadline.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas press�