Re: Vote NO on referendum to reduce board members

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Bill Haneman wrote:

> Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:48:22 +0100
> From: Bill Haneman <Bill Haneman Sun COM>
> To: Liam R E Quin <liam holoweb net>
> Cc: foundation-list gnome org, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com>
> Subject: Re: Vote NO on referendum to reduce board members
>
> I agree with Liam.  His observations
> match my interpretation of my experiences on the Board.
>
> regards
>
> Bill
>
> Liam R E Quin wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 09:45 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> >

> >>[...] many of us notice that the large
> >>size of the group causes irrelevant distraction, even when urgent
> >>decisions are necessary. That happens even with the best people.
> >>

> >I find it happens with teleconference consisting of only two or
> >three people at least as often, if not more often than with
> >larger groups.
> >
> >With a larger group you're more likely to have someone chairing
> >who can move the discussion along.
> >
> >I still think the problems being reported are nothing to do with
> >the size of the group but to do with lack of clear process and
> >with poor delegation.  These are not easy to fix, but I don't
> >think changing the group size will help.

I would think a smaller board would require *more* delegation and given
the nature of the beast the idea of breaking down tasks into smaller parts
and trying to get other to help out more seems to makes a lot of sense.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/