Re: Membership drive

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 16:37 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:

[CUT]

> I'd prefer we figure out why we have membership
> (besides the obvious legal/voting reasons), what we offer the
> membership, and what the membership offers 'us' (the community, the
> foundation, etc.), then talk about having a membership drive if it is
> still appropriate.[2]

The reason why we don't have a large amount of members in the foundation
compared with the amount of eligible GNOME developers/contributors is, I
think, because most just aren't aware that:

a) .. the GNOME Foundation can be useful for anything else than electing
the board members (and they might think it's always going to be the same
people anyway which, in fact, isn't true. Or they just dislike
'politics')

b) .. that they are eligible or they don't think they've contributed
"enough" to become a GNOME Foundation member.

c) .. the GNOME Foundation exists. And that's mainly because the GNOME
Foundation is way to 'silent'. I don't see a lot articles in magazines
and/or online news coming from or about the GNOME Foundation.

About 'more' being 'good':

IMHO the GNOME Foundation could give it's member more responsibility.
Responsibility like doing talks and organising boots at conferences
(requesting the "Murray Cumming"-GNOME Box* :p). Maybe could the
Foundation make a list of tasks that could be done by members. There's
plenty of things todo of which most GNOME Foundation members are capable
of doing. Like writing the API documentation for gnome-print! :)

I propose we do an IRC-meeting (with the current members) about what the
GNOME Foundation could/should become/do.

-----
*
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-de-members/2005-June/msg00005.html

--