Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting March 25 2003

	  Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting March 25 2003

Present:
========

    Nat Friedman (chair)
    Miguel de Icaza
    Jonathan Blandford
    Jim Gettys (:30)
    Tim Ney (:55)
    James Henstridge
    Daniel Veillard (minutes)
    Jody Goldberg
    Glynn Foster
    Bill Haneman

Regrets:
========

    Luis Villa
    Jeff Waugh

Actions Done:
=============

  ACTION: Jim and Miguel are looking for 2 GUADEC keynote speakers
      => ongoing, agenda

  ACTION: Miguel to talk to organisers of NordU* similarly.
        => no done, dropped

Actions:
========

  ACTION: Jim to continue the font discussions with various parties.
        => Beta release of the fonts is done, ongoing.
           Jim will also contact additional font providers.

  ACTION : Tim/Jonathan Create spreadsheet outline for funding
	- baseline needs
	- target goals above that
	- known income
        => Jonathan is working with Tim, ongoing.

  ACTION: Glynn to publish a Newsletter
      => Glynn made some progress, but not yet in a publishable state,
         looking for content, depends of the frequency of the Newsletter.
	 Ongoing, Glynn would welcome help

  ACTION: Bill to double check Sun's Advisory Board member.
      => ongoing

  ACTION: Tim to prepare the logistics for the Advisory Board meeting
      => ongoing

  ACTION: DV to recontact the LinuxDesktop Consortium and act as liaison
      => pending

  ACTION: Jeff to upload his web site current state to CVS and install
          it on beta.gnome.org March 12
      => still pending

  ACTION: Jody to send the ABI path in CVS to the devel list to start the
          discussion
      => partly done

New Actions:
============

===========

- Foundation statement on XFree situation
  We discussed for 15mn on the history and evolution of the XFree86
  situation while Jim Gettys was still on the call.

- Approval for minutes of last meeting
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2003-March/msg00000.html

- Tim status report
  GUADEC
  User/Customer Day on June 18th will offer a Linux work expo.
  The board approved an agreement with LogOn Technology Transfer
  of Germany to organize the expo at Trinity College.

  Tutorials - GUADEC has added a day-long tutorial on GIMP and half day
  tutorials on Beginning GTK+ Programming & GNOME System Administration of
  Network Installation are now accepting registrations at
  http://www.guadec.org/tutorials.php
  Thanks to Jody for helping pull this together.

  Marketing  - Banner ads are underway.on Slashdot, Freshmeat,
  Sourceforge, and Geocrawler  (We still need another banner graphic)

  Housing - There is a limited amount housing available at Trinity.  It
  can be booked via PayPal at  <http://www.guadec.org/accommodation.html>
  on a first-come, first served basis.

  GNOME BOOK
  Tim is working with No Starch Press and Galileo Press on translation and
  publication of GNOME 2.0 Entwicklerhandbuch by Matthias Warkus.  We need
  someone to translate the German to English. Michael Meeks will adapt &
  update text. GNOME Foundation will receive a share of sales.

- Foundation financial status report from Tim
  - Fundraising: we cut some of GUADEC costs, Glynn is working on trying to
    get some sponsorship.
  - Friends of GNOME: this works but need to keep being promoted for it
    to be efficient.

[ Tim signs off for the end of the phone call ]
- Discussion of management of Tim

Daniel