Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting 12 June 2001

	  Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting 12 June 2001

Presents:
=========

    Havoc Pennington (chairing)
    Daniel Veillard  (minutes)
    Miguel de Icaza
    Bart Decrem
    Dan Mueth
    Raph Levien
    Owen Taylor
    Jim Gettys
    Maciej Stachowiak
    Federico

Regrets:
========

    John Heard

Decisions:
==========

   - Not really. We grew concerns about the way to get a stable Gnome-2.0
     in a reasonable time frame.

New Action:
===========

  ACTION: Dan to work with Membership Committee to re-open the membership list.

  ACTION: Havoc to check with Martin and Sander on the Gnome-2.0 roadmap

Actions:
========

  ACTION: Havoc send the AB list to the board looking for completion
          of the member liasons.
     => still pending

  ACTION: John try to get a Copyright assigment form and procedure for the
          GNOME Foundation
     => still pending

  ACTION: Havoc take the action to send a mail on Gnotice about fostering
          the GNOME-2.0 work
     => someone else did it

  ACTION: John to ask Sander and Martin to send the Board a status
          report for GNOME 2.0.
     => ???

  ACTION: Federico to draft policies for @gnome.org email aliases,
          CVS access, and FTP access.
     => about to send it

  ACTION: Maciej to email the Board the current draft of the platform
          license policy for review.
      => still pending

  Basically the Board sucked w.r.t. doing it's ACTIONs items, boooo!

===========

 - Outstanding actions: 1.4.1 coordinators, CVS/ftp/email/etc.
   policy, license policy, etc.

   Federico worked on this but didn't yet made it available to the
   rest of the board yet.

 - Discussed potential press release announcements for LinuxWorld

   It might be a bit too early for a 2.0 but would be okay for a Beta 1

 - Gnome 2.0

   There is concerns that people are adding to HEAD, not stabilizing
   it, working that way there is few chances we can ship in time.

   Seems that porting the stable branch to GTK-2.0 sounds a more
   reliable way to end up with something stable. Some libgnome
   APIs needs to be removed by their new GTK counterparts, but
   we should avoid unstable changes at the Gnome level.

 - Hardware for gnome.org, no response from people we've asked,
   pursue other avenues

   We got no real response to our requests for hardware. It's not
   a crisis but it is annoying, mail Dave Mason <dcm redhat com>
   is there is a good contact point to ask.

 - Revival of the X conference

   the new X Technical Conference will be done in coordination with ALS
   this year, Owen, Frederico, and Jim are on the program committee.
   Gnome hackers working the GUI level should consider submitting papers.
   Proposals must be received by July 3, 2001.

           http://www.usenix.org/events/xfree86/

Daniel

Sep 17-18 2001 Brussels Red Hat TechWorld http://www.redhat-techworld.com