funny behavior with checkboxes

Hello,

since a few days I seem not to be able to properly use the checkboxes in for instance the import. They are always shown unchecked unless I hover the mouse over them. If I try to check something nothing is checked but import starts over again. I use Ubuntu 9.10 and updated all packages just yesterday.
I have an onbord Graphics card with Intel mobile chipset. I'd appreciate any help. Did not find this in any forum.

Thanks!