Re: critical missing feature: embedding tags in EXIF/IPTC

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 29.08.2010, 10:00 -0700 schrieb Piergi:

> 2: somehow the XMP from f-spot was producing an error (XMP error 102), but
> not all of the times, and I have not been able to reproduce that. Sometimes
> I get the error, sometimes I don't. The details in this other thread:
> http://old.nabble.com/XMP-Toolkit-error-102-td29049391.html

Have you tried it with one of the new development versions of f-spot
which uses taglib-sharp for writing metadata? (If you try it, the
database scheme has changed, so if you want to go back to an old
version, backup your database).

> So I am now doing it my own way. Mostly command-line.
> Here is the workflow.
>
> A. I download the photos in a folder and then I run exirename on it
> (http://exiflow.sourceforge.net) renaming the photos with their holy scheme
> :)
>
> B. I add author and copyright with exiperson (also exiflow), there is a
> configuration file that adds the data based on the camera model. I could do
> the same with exiftool, but it is just easier this way. Actually I just have
> one camera, but often I download photos from people I meet during my trip,
> and I think it is correct to put their name embedded in the photo, because I
> am publishing those photos on a website.
>
> C. I do the tagging with geeqie, because it writes «the right way», meaning
> that I don't get the «error 102», plus it has this magic feature where you
> can assign a number (1 to 6) to a tag, and then you go through the photos
> attaching one or more numbers to it and they get automagically tagged.
> *Very* fast way of tagging a bunch of photos (hint! hint!) [1]
>
> D. At the same time I put comment (description?) with geeqie, that when
> uploaded to the web it will appear as caption in my galleries, very handy.
> [2]
>
> E. I do photo editing (GIMP) and then I copy the metadata from the original
> with exiftool ($ exiftool -overwrite_original -tagsfromfile
> 20100827-c102535-pt000.jpg -all:all 20100827-c102535-pt100.jpg), making sure
> it copies *all* the metadata to *all* the fields (the «-all:all» flag, since
> they have a bizarre priority EXIF->IPTC->XMP, check the man page).

you know the -use mwg option?

> F. I move the photos into ~/Photos/2010 and I import the folder in f-spot,
> «exiflow merge revisions». I am using the 0.6.1.5, because the other 0.6s
> are crashing like crazy, and the 0.7s lack the exiflow extension and the
> metadata panel, so I can't check my tags are actually there after the
> import.
>
> I hope I did not forget anything.

Ok, at the end, filesystem and naming of files is another topic. I'm
just going to cover editing of basic photo metadata. So, I'm interested
in the exact metadata fields you are writing. Can you give me a list of
them (or a sample file, where I can extract the fields....)

regards,
Mike