f-spot enhancement proposal: create several catalogues inside f-spot

Hello all F-SPOT users and developpers

Enjoying f-spot under Lucid Lynx, I'd want to re-organize my pictures (about15000) into several different catalogues, albums or collections (as in Photoshop Elements or Digikam) ; this would have several advantages: grouping the pictures by large themes, decreasing the pictures loading time, and shortening the tag lists.

As I'm not a developper and only a quasi- beginner in Linux, I found an interactive way to overcome the fact that only one instance of f-spot is possible, by looking the method indicated in Ubuntu Doc to save the « photo.db » file located in .config/f-spot :

  • save your initial photo.db (if you had one already) and delete this file inside .config/f-spot .

  • open f-spot (that creates a new empty photo.db) and create the new catalogue xx by loading the corresponding pictures ;

  • create a general file named  catfspot  for example ;

  • inside catfspot, create a  catxx  file to save the adequate  photo.db  file for this catalogue xx, and write these two executable text documents :

      « open xx » used to open the xx catalogue, containing the command

    "cp /home/you/catfspot/catxx/photos.db /home/you/.config/f-spot|f-spot",

      « closexx » to save the proper photo.db file and quit f-spot, containing the command

    "cp /home/you/.config/f-spot/photos.db /home/you/catspot/catxx|pkill f-spot"

  • Repeat these operations for all the new catalogues. Note that it is also possible to create different sub-catalogues from your initial catalogue by deleting pictures which don't fit the desired theme ; in any case don't forget to save the photo-db of your initial global catalogue!

Beware that everytime you open a catalogue, it is compulsory to close it with the proper closing executable text, and not by the close button in f-spot window, if you want to save your work !

I use successfully this method, but I think it is complicated and it would be valuable to modify internally f-spot so as to have the benefit of similar features, under the « file » button in f-spot menu for example.

I'd be happy to read your comments – please excuse my english, I'm a « frog-eater » !

Regards,

Georges THOMAS