Meta data and Tags

Hello,
I really enjoy the usefulness and simplicity f-spot gives me when handling my photos. I do have a question about how/where f-spot writes meta-data to photos. I have many photos, with raw (cr2) and developed versions (jpeg) which I have added tags and comments too. I selected synchronize meta-data and have also used the sync meta-data plugin, but I still am unable to find the meta-data in the photo using exiv2. Does f-spot write to all compatible versions of the file? Where would the tags and comments be located within the meta-data?
I am using version 0.5.0.3

Thanks for your time,
James