Some questions about hacking F-spot

Hello people! This is my first time posting to the mailing list. I have
been thinking about doing some hacking on F-Spot for a while, but I have
been trying to figure out where to start. So if anyone could help, it
would be appreciated :-)

I want to do some work on making it possible to play a slideshow with
music in an intuitive type fashion. I figure that the best way to go
about this is to program some of the back end portion first and then get
the OK of the higher ups.

I've done some talking with peoples, and it sounds like the smartest way
would be to make F-Spot and Banshee talk to each other through DBus.
Maybe create a special playlist in Banshee automagically called "F-Spot
Slideshow" that the user can fill. I figure if here are enough apis
exposed through DBus, there should be a minimal amount of buttons needed
to be added to F-Spot itself.

I did some testing on my idea with a thrown together python script that
starts up banshee and makes it start playing, throws up an f-spot
slidshow (through gnome-screensaver-command), then kills banshee when
the slideshow is closed. It was a bit surprising how well it worked.

Zach