Re: Display bigger version of a photo on a tooltip

Hi Steve,

In the first place, thanks for taking the time to elaborate.

> No.  As I said that to be consistent you'd have to show all the keyboard
> shortcuts available, that could be a lot of text and it is quite
> possible that it would cover up the very thumbnail that the user was
> looking at.

I might be misinterpreting you here, but I never said anything about
showing shortcuts in the tooltips. Show the image, comment (if there is
one) and maybe data and name, is what I said.

> Tooltips should be small and unobtrusive.

But being big does not necessarily mean being obstrusive. Take a look at
Pidgin, while it's not a photo browser it DOES have a contact browser,
and it shows tooltips when you hover over a name. Those tooltips can
become pretty big if you have more than one account assigned to a
contact, but as soon as you move the cursor out of the name they fade
out. I never -not once- was bothered by this behaviour, rather the
opposite. I find it helpful and informative.

> Another good "discoverable" reason for not doing as you should suggest
> is that other applications don't use tooptips this way.

But they do. Konqueror shows tooltips this way when hovering over images
(I wish Nautilus had tooltip capabilities); yesterday I saw Vista's
photo gallery program (don't remember its name, tho) and it does it too.

> I see your point, I really do, but have you considered other users?
> What about a feature that you don't find helpful but someone else does?
> Should you be informed of a feature that you will never use all the
> time.  Microsoft got slammed for the "Clippy" helper, although some
> people apparently liked it.

I do think there is a misunderstanding here, because I can't see how the
Clippy reference -or the users soon learning the shortcuts- is related
to the issue. Please be aware that I'm NOT proposing to show the
shortcuts on the tooltip.

David.