F-spot on light weight g-nome??

Hi,

I have a very old laptop with a 533 MHz Celeron, 96MB RAM, 4GB harddisk, and
am looking to install a minimal installation of Ubuntu on it. I would then
like to run f-spot on it and I understand that it runs only on Gnome.

Are there any lighter versions of gnome??
Is it possible for f-spot to run on X straight (without gnome)?? Is it
compatible with any other gnome-like-systems??

Please let me know.

Regards,
Radha.