Re: feature request: generate tags from folder

On 9/19/07, Alexander Gruber <sysnet web de> wrote:
> When I recently imported my picture library into f-spot I realized that
> I had to generate all tags myself. It would have saved me a lot of work
> if f-spot would just take the folder name and generates a tag for the
> pictures inside. this way i can import thousands of pictures and have
> them all tagged properly. Maybe this could be realized via a check box
> on the "import" dialog.

+1 for utility (and because some other programs in this genre have the feature).

E.g., iPhoto sort-of does this.  Although they're not "keywords" in
the iPhoto parlance, one can search one for any word in the name of
the folder that immediately contained the photos.  The search is not
case sensitive.

If one imports a complete directory structure of:

~/Pictures/YYYY/MM/DD/Really Cool Event Name Goes Here/xxx.jpg
~/Pictures/YYYY/MM/DD/A Boring Event Name Is Here/zzz.jpg

Then searching for "Here" will find the photos in both folders.
Searching for "cool" will only find the first and searching for
"boring" will only find the second.  Searching for "YYYY" will find
neither -- which is fine since the EXIF tags (and file time stamps if
they're not present) will allow one to use F-Spot's good date
searching.

thomas