Re: Sorting photos

This is a problem for me personally. I have something like 5-6 years worth of images, something like 3500 pictures. I have them structured in directories and organized by concept/event. Now I could go and tag the hundred or so folders individually, but to tag them all so that I have usable and search-able tags, I would have to do them individually. To manage many images, F-Spot needs to be able to present the images in a structured manner that makes sense to the user. From what I am seeing on this thread, most people do not initially want this feature but only succumb to it, lock themselves into the tool, and then are forced to use the tool to import future images directly.

This should not be the goal of a good photo manager. Other applications, such as gThumb and jAlbum, give you the power to organize your images and not lock you into some special ~/Photos or photos.db type of setup. It would behoove F-Spot it it freed itself from the concept of absolute control and organized the content in a manner that makes sense to the end user.

Arguing that it just makes sense to you and anyone who disagrees should just commit entirely and get used to it is not a productive argument. There have been several discussions about this, so perhaps someone should pay attention.

-Jason