Re: Video and other media. Where to draw the line?

I'm not really an f-spot developer, beyond some patches, but I've done my share of OOAD, so I'll take a stab at answering.

I really don't think that f-spot should become a video editing suite - probably not even to the level of the way it edits photos currently. I don't even think it should try to be a video player.

But I do think showing thumbnails from the video, and then launching a player or editor would definitely be convenient.

Michael Wayne Goodman wrote:

Q1. What do you think is the best way to structure the classes (of the
three options above)

well - this sounds like a textbook case of inheritance... It looks like ImageFile is only used in around 70 places, so it might not be *that* annoying to change most/all of the occurences to MediaFile, so I'd say that option 3 sounds best to me.

I would be interested in seeing how you plan to split things up between the 3 classes --- my feeling is that both ImageFile and VideoFile would be pretty thin...

Q2. If we add video support, where do we draw the line with F-Spot?
Obviously we don't want to make a full file manager with a slideshow
function.  But a good rule of thumb might be that we should handle
everything, and only, what a digital camera can take.  Right now, I
believe that is photos, videos, and audio clips (which I think are
attached to photos).

I certainly would like to be able to use a single package to track all of the things that come off my digital camera. I would perhaps argue that we should only worry about audio clips attached to photos --- if someone is using their camera as a purely audio recorder, that sounds outside of f-spot's scope.

Q3. Assuming we add video support, what features would be necessary?
I think editing should be left up to an external editor, although it
might be feasible to do very simple things like truncating or adding a
title screen (compare to what we do with photos, for instance).
Exporting to services like YouTube would be quite nice as well.
Q4. What is the minimum amount of expected functionality required for
a patch to be accepted?  (ie. there's lots we could do, but we should
keep it small first)

As I said before, I don't think it really makes sense to try to do any video editing in f-spot, and I'm not even sure we should try playing the videos directly - given the number of good video players out there, don't re-invent the wheel.

Exporting to various video sharing services would be pretty nice, though.

Warren