Tag search for all / any tags

This is my first post to the f-spot mailing list, after seeing f-spot for the first time yesterday (version 0.11 as in Ubuntu Dapper).

My first reaction to the tag search was one of confusion. I'm not yet using a photo management system, I'm just trying things out to see which I might like to use, but I'm sure that the other tagging systems I tried worked the opposite to F-spot. I had expected that if you selected two tags, e.g. Freddie and Skiing, then you would get to see all pictures of freddie skiing. F-spot seems to present any and all pictures of Freddie,  and any and all pictures of skiing. This is counter-intuitive to me, and is the result of displaying pictures that contain ANY selected tag rather than only displaying pictures that contain ALL selected tags.

I know that people must be used to this way of organising things, but I don't see how you can sensibly tag things in a system like that. So I would like to propose a new feature whereby you can choose whether F-spot uses an OR search or an AND search. The default should be OR for backward compatibility. Maybe a menu optioin, or perhaps a toggle type control (Any/All or And/Or) near the tag selection tree?

I hope I'm not opening a long-dead argument - I had a quick look through the archives before posting this.

Regards,
Steve Horsley.