Re: F-Spot UI Consistency and Polish

On 31/10/06, Gabriel Burt <gabriel burt gmail com> wrote:
Hi John,

On 10/30/06, John Stowers <john stowers lists gmail com> wrote:
> * If the find bar and query bar are mutually exclusive then they
> should appear in the same place.

Agreed, they should both be at the top.  I put the type-to-find entry
at the bottom to be like Firefox, but let's move it to the top.

> * The Query bar should use an information icon to indicate valid
> searched like the find bar does to indicate no results have been
> found.

Agreed, the "Invalid" and "Valid" labels were there for me when I was
coding it.  It should have an icon for two cases, though - no photos
found (but all tags entered recognized), tag(s) not recognized (or
operator mistyped).  It would be sweet it we could use a spell-check
like mechanism to underline the parts of the query that weren't
recognized.

> * Change the Tag bar shortcut key to be shift-ctrl-t as recommended by
> the HIG [1]

I think that's fine.  The real shortcut for it is just 't'.  There was
a long discussion with Nat about having there be a shortcut at all.
Nat initially had it where you typed letters while having a photo
selected and it would start tagging it.

> * Remove the small tag icons beside the Comment entry in the photo
> view. Show the tag bar at the bottom of the photo view to provide the
> same information

Not so sure about this, showing the tagging bar by default.

> * Show the Find bar and the Query bar, alternately, just below the
> date widget (where the find bar is currently shown)

This was point #1, no?  Still in agreement..

> * Does it make sense to show the Find and Query bars in the photo
> view? Or just the browse view

I think it's fine to show it.  Changing the query from there affects
what photos are available when you click 'Next' etc.

> * Move "Drag tags here to search for them" to beside the information
> bar icon and show it when no tags are being searched.

I don't understand what you're suggesting.

> Sorry about all the nitpicking, if there is a consensus on how to best
> address these items then I will provide patches.

Not at all, the nitpicking is great.  Polish is very important.
Please feel free to provide patches for any of these things.  Thanks,

Gabriel

I agree that the interface needs to be better organized. I posted a
suggestion on how to better organize things here on the list, I can
dig it up if need be. Stowers' suggestions are extremely valid as
well.

Dotan Cohen
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/love.html
http://dotancohen.com/