Re: Importing IPTC tags

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 10:03 +0200, Frederic Peters wrote:
> Hi Bengt,
>
> > I think my XMP import patch (which is based on Gabriels GThumb tags
> > import) could be a good start. But not sure F-Spot reads/finds the various
> > IPTC tags though.
>
> F-Spot already displays country, city and keywords (as "Subject and
> Keywords") in the metadata browser.
>
> >                    There was a link to a C# library to read IPTC tags on
> > the mailing list a year ago or more.
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/f-spot-list/2005-April/msg00014.html
>
> I had a quick a look at this, it works but some files had suspect
> copyright notices and I didn't go further.
>

> > Not sure we should use his library, or try to get an IPTC class reader for
> > f-spot.
>
> IptcFile.cs may be enough.  I'll look into all of this next week.

Any IPTC contents keywords will be picked up by the Select () call that
retrieves the metadata.  F-Spot parses the iptc data and converts the
important keys to XMP.  And yes the code in IptcFile is a very simple
IPTC parser I wrote.

Other image metadata for all the various file formats will also be
picked up and converted to XMP through that call.

--Larry