Re: [Evolution] [Gimp-user] [evolution-users] What do I do now?

On Tue, 2022-10-25 at 12:06 +0200, Michael Schumacher via evolution-
list wrote:
Personally, I think that Discourse will be more than able to handle
this
amount of messaging, will likely even lead to an increase in volume,
and
be able to reach more people in general.

Not sure how you can make that assumption when so many here (including
myself) will never join discourse.

Personally, I think this forced migration is more about increasing user
count on discourse rather than having anything to do with benefitting
this (or any other) list.

I can't help but notice that Discourse just got some major, Series A
funding last August. Investors expect growth. I can't help but think
there might be a connection to gnome's decision.

From Wikipedia:
"In August 2021, Civilized Discourse Construction Kit announced it had
secured US$20 million in Series A Investment by Pace Capital and First
Round Capital."

I like email, it's peer to peer technology. Discourse is not peer to
peer. I'll continue seeking and contributing my tiny little bits to
projects that offer everyone freedom and a chance to be a peer.

How did everyone like this late notice that we got 10 days before the
list is to be shut down, and the uncaring 'suck it up' attitude of the
messenger? Will that kind of behavior increase or decrease with the use
of discourse, as opposed to email?

Authoritarians make me chafe. The lack of respect evident in gnome's
treatment of this issue makes me even more unlikely to migrate where
they say migrate.

How much harder would it be to recreate discourse than it is to create
another mailing list? Vendor lockin anyone?

Gabe