Re: [Evolution] Mailing list?

How are folders marked as filled from a mailing list?

The "folders" don't know anything about it.  Folders are just
containers and are content agnostic.

If I want to post messages to mailing lists, from the correct folder I
can use the menu option "Message->Mailing List->Post Message to List",
which is fine, but only some mailing list folders let me reply to
messages with "Message->Reply To List".  For some of my mailing list
folders that option is greyed out!

How do I change that?

I know I *can* reply to the list by using "Reply To All", but why isn't
the correct option always available?

OK. It's to do with the headers on the *message* nothing to do with the
folder the messages are in.

Most mailing lists should add a bunch of headers as the messages get
sent out.  The Evolution list ones are:

    <mailto:evolution-list-request gnome org?subject=subscribe>

These are what determine the ability of Evolution to "Reply-to-list".
If those headers are not present, the list handling options are greyed
out.

So, why are they not always there? Well it's a bit of a bugbear of mine
(and others).  If someone does a Reply-all to the list on one of my
messages their mail program will send out a number of messages: to the
list; to me; to anyone else. The list manager program sees that I am
CC'd on the message, so doesn't send me a copy as that would be a
duplicate - the result is that the only copy I receive doesn't have the
list headers on it.  *I* make sure that although I can't Reply-to-list,
I do Reply-all and edit the recipients so that only the list is
mentioned. It does means though that people will only get the mailing
list version but threading is broken by it. I can't do anything about
that because I don't have the mailing list message to reply to and
maintain the threading.

Evolution goes to quite a lot of lengths to try and do mailing list
messages correctly - but not all MUAs are similarly diligent and it's
often easier for the user to just hit Reply-all.

P.