Re: [Evolution] Copies of messages not deleted on the server and multiple copies of the same downloaded

On Wed, 2021-09-01 at 15:45 +0200, Vincenzo * HI-Lab wrote:
I do not know if you can understand where's the problem from this:

        Hi,
the log you provided (it it was all or close to all, avoiding actual
message content) doesn't show any problem, as far as I can tell. It
shows one of your accounts has 112 messages, the other account has
16259 messages. There had been also retrieved two messages from the
server, one of size 786523 bytes, the other one of size 19763 bytes.
Those are (probably) two new messages. Running the evolution again may
skit those "RETR 111" and "RETR 112" from the log.

When you check the
   ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/<pop3-account-uid>/uid-cache
files, then one may have 112 messages/lines, the other one 16259 (how
about the other two accounts I do not know). If not, then that's the
reason why evolution duplicates the messages in the On This
Computer/Inbox, it does not recognize those messages are already known.
It's a long time since I did anything serious with the POP3 provider,
my memory is rusty, though I think it does work this way.

This uid-cache file content is also consulted with the content of the
folders.db file at the same directory. It can be one or the other
broke, maybe after a crash?

I'd start with the account with the 112 messages. Close Evolution, move
away the corresponding ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/<pop3-account-
uid>/ directory and then start Evolution. Click Send & Receive. It'll
load all those 112 messages from the server and also re-create the
~/.local/share/.... directory. Reproduce the problem (close Evolution,
start it again, click Send & Receive?), none of the messages from the
account with the 112 messages should not be duplicated (reappear in the
On This Computer/Inbox). If it'll be fixed this way, then do the same
for the large account. I'd probably remove only the uid-cache and the
folders.db file from those folders, to avoid re-download of the
messages which are already on the local disk. You can move away only
those two files for the small account too, if you wish, instead of
moving away the whole directory.

        Bye,
        Milan