Re: [Evolution] Retrieving message - when looking at emails

On Fri, 2021-05-28 at 09:54 +0100, Gerard Ceruti wrote:
I suspect the issue might be a slight lag on the HDD read time.

        Hi,
those things (message retrieval and others) are done asynchronously, in
a dedicated thread, which means it can take some time until the other
thread is executed and when it's finished and when it returns the data.
Depending on the message size, it can also take its time to parse the
message and generate an HTML representation of it (which is passed to
the preview panel). The preview panel is updated asynchronously again,
this time passing the data to a WebKitWebProcess, through some inter-
process-communication channels managed by the WebKitGTK itself. All
these things can cause (slight) delays.

Some other delays can be due to a lookup for sender's photo, though
those are done only after the preview panel is updated.

side question, how do I confirm that I am downloading all the emails,
i.e. Evolution is not connecting to the email server ?.

File->Work Offline. Then select a message. If it'll show up, it's
downloaded for offline use. You did not specify what account type you
use (IMAP, POP,...), where for example POP accounts have the message
stored On This Computer. IMAP does not.
        Bye,
        Milan