Re: [Evolution] Rules bug?

On Sun, 2021-07-25 at 23:55 +0200, Ángel wrote:
On 2021-07-21 at 10:28 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
the idea behind the default value is that the filters may forward
multiple message, thus it's better to pile them up and flush the
Outbox at once, rather than connect to the sending server for each
message separately.
If you receive 5 emails, and 3 of them match a rule (or two) which
forward them to both Alice and Bob, it makes sense not to create 6
separate connections, but to batch them at once.

I concur;  e-mail (SMTP) has always been a store-n-forward scheme which
depends on spooling and batching.  E-mail is not a form of instant
messaging.

However, I think the expectation would be that they _do_ get sent
automatically, not that the user will need a manual outbox flush.
The tricky part would be when mixed with normal outbox mail.

I am on the fence.  Evolution is a mail client for a desktop
environment.  If someone wants always-on automated services then that's
what servers are for; there are service-side filtering systems such as
SIEVE.   This seems like an example of use-the-right-tool-for-the-job.

Trying to make it behave as expected without complicating it, maybe
it could do something like this:

Is it possible to ask Evolution to send/receive via d-bus?   If that is
possible a very simple external app - or script - could request
Evolution s&r every n minutes.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383