[Evolution] Dealing with huge imap accounts / best practise?

How do we live with large IMAP accounts best?

While the slowness when checking for new folders and mail is still
acceptable, searching / huge caches are an issue.  What we did so
far, comparing evolution-3.30.5 with Thunderbird:

Concerning search by local cache

Caching seems required for Evolution to make search work, doesn't
it? It created a 50 GB cache here though.  Thunderbird has flaws
but offers a Global Search feature, based on small sqlite db, around
350 MB here.  It works with no further local mail cache.

Concerning IMAP server search

Thunderbird has the Searver Search feature but that did never work
here (tested against dovecot IMAP server). Evolution does not seem
to got that way neither.

Thanks for any pointers
  Felix