[Evolution] Blank buttons for calendar invites with mate desktop

Running evolution 3.28.1, with a mate desktop 1.2 on arch linux. This
is a fresh install on a brand new laptop.

The issue I'm having is that I can not read the text in the buttons for
calendar invites i.e. I see the button, but no text.

I have the same setup on an older laptop running the same versions and
I do see the text in the buttons. I checked that I'm using the same
fonts, icons etc. and even tried different themes.

I recall seeing this issue and fixing it in the past, alas I do not recall how. Thanks in advance.

--
best regards

Graham