Re: [Evolution] Send mail and “read” indication to Thunderbird

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 14:26:53 -0700 (PDT), grooster wrote:
Patrick:  Sorry, but I found and use a web archive that interacts with
this email list (see nabble.com) and am not sure if it will quote
partial sections.  Also, I did misunderstand exactly what you were
suggesting.

If you push the reply link of a message at
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.evolution.general/53454 the
original message is quoted and the quote can be edited. I don't know if
there are any issues with Gmane, since I'm not using it.

To sync mail, read-status, and any other meta-data sounds very nice,
but like Ralf, I want to use POP.  Ideally, I just want to "sync" mail
and read-status one time during transfer between the clients.  If I
read an occasional email on my phone, I would not expect to see the
synchronized database there.

The popularity of IMAP might explain why full export capacity is not
always available.

No, the reason for this is not that IMAP might be more popular, than
POP. The cause for the missing ability is the way POP works.

POP does download mails from the Inbox only and there's no uploaded back
to the server.

To sync POP means to use a sync tool/command, similar to a copy
tool/command. This works, if you are using identical mail clients, of
identical versions. Assumed those identical clients could share folders,
you even don't need a tool for this. The most simple example would be a
multi-boot on the same machine, by e.g. links.

Nowadays I'm doing this for Claws between Ubuntu 16.04 and Arch Linux:

[rocketmouse@archlinux moonstudio]$ sudo systemd-nspawn -q dpkg -l claws-mail-git|grep ii
ii  claws-mail-git 3.13.2-1-geb0880-1 amd64        A GTK+ based e-mail client - git checkout
[rocketmouse@archlinux moonstudio]$ pacman -Q claws-mail-git
claws-mail-git 3.13.2.r1.geb08800-1
[rocketmouse@archlinux moonstudio]$ ls -hAl home/weremouse/ | grep ">" | head -3
lrwxrwxrwx  1 rocketmouse users         43 Oct  6  2015 .bogofilter ->
/mnt/archlinux/home/rocketmouse/.bogofilter
lrwxrwxrwx  1 rocketmouse users         43 Oct  6  2015 .claws-mail ->
/mnt/archlinux/home/rocketmouse/.claws-mail
lrwxrwxrwx  1 rocketmouse users         42 Oct  6  2015 Claws Mail -> /mnt/archlinux/home/rocketmouse/Claws
Mail

In the past I did this for Evolution, by even using different versions
of Evolution, but that time I didn't share the configuration of
Evolution, it were just the mails.

Nowadays in addition the only mail client deleting POP mails after one
day from the server is Evolution, but I download the mails with Claws,
sometimes with a very outdated Opera and iOS mail, too. However, in sync
regarding e.g. read status are only the two Claws installs. It's not a
lack of features regarding popularity, it's the difference IMAP and POP
work with cons and pros for both approaches.

If you have reasons to stay with POP, consider to use identical mail
clients and to find a way to sync between them. If it's important for
your needs to sync in the most easiest way, between different mailers,
than consider to use IMAP and do think over, if your reasons to not use
IMAP are good reasons. If you want to really sync between different
mailers using POP, you might be able to write a script to transform from
one format to the other. You can't expect that this is done by the MUAs
or some enhanced POP.

Regards,
Ralf