Re: [Evolution] Backup strategy and move evolution data among two or more PCs

On Sat, 2015-07-11 at 09:24 -0400, John Lauterbach wrote:
There appears to be much confusion on how to do this for those who
are not on
servers.
I use my laptop for evolution (3.16.0 running under Ubuntu 15.04).  I
also have
a desktop with same version of evolution and same OS.
Home directories of both PC as well as other partitions on each SSD
are backed
up remotely to SpiderOak.
I regularly backup evolution using the backup function and store the
backups on
a SSD partition that is only for data files.  In other words, I can
reinstall
Ubuntu and not have to worry about overwriting evolution back up
files.
[etc.]

Good practice is to keep one's home directory on a separate partition
(for system updates) and back it up every night with an automatic
system (cron script usually). Your method seems rather manual and thus
error-prone.

However the requirements of backup and those of synchronization between
multiple clients are not the same. As I mentioned in a previous post, I
have a whole bunch of email clients on different platforms accessing
the same email accounts. I definitely don't want to have to remember to
turn each of them off and transfer all my email to a different one
before using it. That's what servers are for.

poc