Re: [Evolution] Calendar-EWS generates zombies [evolution] <defunct>

On Tue, 2014-02-25 at 14:39 +0000, Michael Felsberg wrote:
Experience with the new, empty account:
EVO freezes when switching to Calendar. I let it go and after some time
items from my account pop up.
I could change back to Email. However, when I switched back to Calendar
and pressed on work-week view, it freezes again.

        Hi,
it's hard to guess from the description. The Calendar part use to do
many operations synchronously in the main thread, blocking the UI thread
and thus whole Evolution, but the exact reason is only viewable in a
backtrace of the frozen application. Note that the reason of the
long-standing request can leave elsewhere, in a different process, like
the request made in evolution can be stuck waiting for a response from
an evolution-calendar-factory process, which can eventually be stuck
waiting for a response from an evolution-source-registry process. The
best to install debuginfo (dbg) packages for evolution-data-server,
evolution and evolution-ews (make sure they are of the same version as
the binary packages), and then grab a backtrace of all three running
processes, which you can do with a gdb command like this:
  $ gdb --batch --ex "t a a bt" -pid=`pidof evolution` &>bt.txt
and similar for other processes. Note that the backtraces can contain
private information like passwords, server addresses and email
addresses, thus before you provide it in public by any means make sure
you do not expose anything like that (I usually search at least for
"pass", quotes for clarity only).

By the way, could you remind me of your versions of
evolution-data-server, evolution and evolution-ews, please? Your replies
are breaking threading constantly, which only makes things worse. If you
have enable digests for the evolution-list, please turn it off and
receive individual messages instead, where replying is not a problem.
Alternatively, if you want to use message digests and you use evolution,
consider replying to individual submessages in the message digest by the
little button above each submessage, pressing the arrow-down button,
which offers options like Reply to All, which keeps headers required for
proper threading and prefills recipients, which you can easily change
(by deleting people and keep only the list, though there are people
preferring Reply to All instead of replying only to the list).

        Thanks and bye,
        Milan