Re: [Evolution] Installing evolution 3.12 in Ubuntu 14.04

On Fri, 2014-08-08 at 12:34 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, 2014-08-07 at 11:11 -0500, James R. Martin wrote:
I have installed Ubuntu 14.94 in Vituralbox v4.3 and downloaded
evolution-3.12.2.tar.xz and

So you downloaded a *source code* tarball of Evolution (and source code
needs to get compiled first to be executed as a program).
And just for the records, 3.12.4 is the latest stable Evolution version.

extracted it to a folder evolution-3.12.2 and need instructions on how
to install it?

If you really want to do this and know what you are doing:
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/06/install-from-source/
But if you have never compiled and installed source code tarballs and
their dependencies, then this is nothing to recommend.

Instead, take the pre-compiled package provided by your distribution and
install that one.

Ubuntu decided to disable bogofilter for Evolution in Ubuntu 13.10, and
carried this policy over to 14.04.

So if you want Bogofilter, you must do something outside of Ubuntu's
blessed way.

I just "upgraded" to 14.04, and am faced with becoming a sysadmin to get
Spamassassin working, or to submit to the Apple-like joys of only using
the software that some god-like organization deems is correct for me.  I
don't like either choice.

--

Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com