Re: [Evolution] From POP3 to IMAP

On 29-03-13 17:37, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2013-03-28 at 17:02 +0100, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
It's about the old mail. This is now in mbox format and I would like
to transfer it to imap.

IMAP is not a format, it's a protocol.
Mbox is not a protocol, it's a format.

The question I think you're trying to ask is "how do I import mbox
format mailboxes into my new IMAP server"?

Correct.

You can do this with some server-side facility, which depends on the
specific IMAP server implementation.

Is that true? I think I can use all tools who can read mbox and talk
IMAP. There are many kinds of mbox, so maybe it's more client specific.
And I've heard about flags in the "X-Evolution:" header, here in this
tool what converts mbox to maildir:
http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/mb2md/

Or you can set up the server with a
bunch of IMAP-based user accounts and import the mail by dragging it
from the local mbox folder to the remote IMAP folder for each user.

So far I know mbox is a file with many mails in it. My IMAP server
stores one mail in a file. So a conversion would be needed. I've seen
such tools, but then I loose my "seen" status.

The first of these is likely to be much more practical, especially for a
large number of accounts. However the details depend entirely on what
IMAP server you propose to use and have nothing to do with Evolution.

The mbox-file is Evolution specific because of the "X-Evolution:" header.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

poc